Thursday, July 3, 2008

Happy July 4 Everybody!

I know it's not the usual Sousa marches, fireworks, and jingoism; and Madpriest really won't like this (neither will the Republicans or Generation Y), but who cares.

My parents forbade me to see this movie when it came out in 1968(?).  I didn't finally see the whole thing until about 1975 when I was 16 or 17.  The Beatles meant a lot to the very few of us kids in Texas in those days who were NOT making apocalyptic concordances between the Bible and The Dallas Times Herald; who were NOT working for one of Nixon's or Wallace's campaigns; and who were NOT reading Spengler and flashing our KKK membership cards.
But the Bush/Cheney regime is in its last days, and I'm hoping for a new day.  Even though I'm about to celebrate my 50th year with a colonoscopy exam sometime soon, I'd somehow like to feel my youth renewed like the eagle's and begin again.  I remember dear old friends long gone, and I'm so grateful for new friends, as I watch this.

So here's to Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness guaranteed by Equal Justice Under Law...

and to The Love That Shines All Around You.

4 comments:

Paul said...

Though I had heard of your blog, Counterlight, I only just got over to see. What powerful posts! I am so glad you are writing and sharing here. Thank you, thank you.

And "Down with tyranny!"

pj said...

Counterlight, this is a perfect song for today. I didn't know you'd succumbed to blogging! Welcome.

June Butler said...

Counterlight, I suppose no one reads my blog. I gave you publicity a good many days ago.

Counterlight said...

Well I read your blog.

Thanks for the promotions!