Wednesday, October 28, 2009

New Paintings

Here are my new paintings from the past year. They were photographed by Steve Bates of Art Documentation. Steve Bates has been photographing my work for about 12 years now.


Orpheus




Orpheus, detail




Orpheus, detail



Here are two paintings completed from a projected four painting series on Theseus.


Theseus Discovers His Father's Sword




Theseus and Procrustes




Theseus and Procrustes, detail




Theseus and Procrustes, detail


The remaining two paintings will be Theseus and the Minotaur (already begun and expected to be finished sometime this summer), and Theseus Founding Athens.





Apollo




Apollo, detail





... and finally, a rather frumpy self-portrait

8 comments:

Leonard said...

Hi Doug, nice to see you...amazing stuff...I can´t make a fist.

JCF said...

Eeek, "Theseus and Procrustes" is FAR more scary here, than in your earlier sketch! [Just in time for Halloween? ;-/]

Counterlight said...

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha!

Counterlight said...

Not much for a year's work here. Maybe next year I won't be quite so buried in teaching and will be more productive.

June Butler said...

Oh my! Orpheus is so sad, heart-wrenching, really. The spectators are so caught up in Orpheus and his music that they pay no attention to the fire. I like the contrast of the very bright colors against the somber colors.

The Theseus paintings are powerful. I confess that you made me blush with the full frontal. I'm glad I was home and not in a gallery or a museum. Procrustes is a creepy fella. Theseus won in the end, didn't he?

Apollo is, well, an Apollo. Gorgeous.

Doug, your self-portrait is excellent. It's alive, my friend. I caught my breath when I saw it.

I don't know, but this seems like a goodly amount of work for a year. I'd love to see your painting up close.

Counterlight said...

I'm hoping the Minotaur painting turns out just as creepy as the Procrustes painting. There will be no full frontal nudity in that one though.

Theseus wins, but I want to make him work for it.

I'd like to do more portraits. The problem is finding the time and willing sitters.

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

You da Man!

I do love you paintings.

Craig-Wankiiri said...

Hey Doug. Good to catch up with you on FB and here on your blog--also good to see you are still painting.

You forgot to put Lysippos on your list of great sculptors! I think he was the greatest of the big four, perhaps of all Greek artists, but of course we will never know for sure--damn Romans.

Brian