Saturday, May 18, 2019

I Saw the Moon Explode





A few days ago, I had the most vivid dream.  I dreamt that the moon exploded.  It was twilight just after sunset.  I was making my way through a crowd.  I think I was on my way to work.  I noticed that everyone was looking up anxiously.  I looked and I saw the moon on fire.  Black smoke poured out of the right side of the moon.  I then saw red flame appearing through the smoke.  Suddenly, the moon exploded in a huge fireball.  People around me screamed and shouted, then everyone started running.  I tried frantically to call on a phone that didn't work.  Then, I pushed my way through the jostling crowd when I woke up.
The dream felt very much like my experience of September 11, 2001, and I assume it was that experience once again manifesting itself.  For two or three years after that event, I had a string of vivid dreams about it.  But I haven't dreamt about it in many years, and I'm not sure why I should dream about it now.





A photo of the events of September 11, 2001 that I took from the roof of the building that I lived in at 256 East 10th Street.


I don't really believe that dreams are prophetic or revelatory.  I think they are nothing more than rummaging around in the psychic attic where thoughts and memories are thrown around and chaotically stuffed together in old boxes all marked "miscellaneous."  I'm just not sure why those particular memories should come up now.

Walking home from my studio this evening I saw a big full moon rising over the Brooklyn side of the East River.  I've never been more happy to see the moon in all my life.  I don't think I'll ever look at it the same again.  I'll always be glad that it's there in the sky.

At a time dominated by anger, paranoia, hatred, where people no longer trust their own eyes and sincerely believe the most ludicrous stories, it seems that I'm always watching the funeral of all things true, good, and decent.  Scoundrels with too much power gamble away the lives of the powerless.  Traditions and institutions that served people well for decades and centuries get trashed under brutal hurried feet.  Angry nihilists want nothing more than to set everything on fire and watch it burn.

I'm happy to see that the moon is still there untouched by our lunacy, that it will outlast the madness, outlast me, and probably outlast humankind.


Some of my favorite paintings of the moon:





Ma Yuan, Viewing Plum Blossoms by Moonlight, 13th century




Jan Van Eyck, Diptych withe the Crucifixion and Last Judgment, ca. 1440




Jan Van Eyck, Diptych, detail




Adam Elsheimer, Flight into Egypt,  1609






Peter Paul Rubens, The Stone Carters, ca.1620






Aert Van Der Neer, River Landscape, 17th century







Aert Van Der Neer, Night Landscape with a River,  17th century






Caspar David Friedrich,  A Walk at Dusk, ca.1830




Caspar David Friedrich, Swans in the Reeds, ca.1832





Caspar David Friedrich, The North Sea in Moonlight, ca. 1824





JMW Turner, Keelmen Heaving Coals By Moonlight, 1835





JMW Turner, The Lagoon of Venice in Moonlight, 1830





Hiroshige, The Moon, ca.1830







Jean Francois Millet, The Sheepfold in Moonlight, ca. 1856





George Inness, Moonlight, 1885





George Inness, Harvest Moon, 1891





George Inness, Moonrise, 1887






George Inness, Moonlight, Tarpon Springs, 1892




Ralph Blakelock, Moonlight, ca.1890




Ralph Blakelock, Moonlight, ca.1885 - 1889






Albert Pinkham Ryder, Seacoast in Moonlight, 1890






Albert Pinkham Ryder, Moonlight Marine, ca. 1870 - 1890






Henri Rousseau, Carnival Night, 1886






Henri Rousseau, The Sleeping Gypsy, 1897







Vincent Van Gogh, Road with Cypress and Star, 1890






Vincent Van Gogh, Couple Walking with Crescent Moon, 1890





Max Beckmann, The Frankfurt Synagogue, 1919






Joan Miro, Dog Barking at the Moon, 1926








Max Ernst, Epiphany, 1940







Georgia O'Keefe, Pelvis and Moon, 1943




Joseph Cornell, Dream World, 1957





No comments: