Friday, April 23, 2010

I'm Canceling That Trip to Phoenix

I don't want to spend time in a state where almost all my students would be required to show ID. Walking while brown without papers is not a crime or even immoral. Singling out people who are brown to show papers is immoral and should be a crime.

UPDATE:

Digby points out that cops in Arizona will almost certainly be stopping and demanding papers from a lot of blond blue-eyed pale faces to avoid charges of racial profiling and to maintain the pretense of color-blindness in this law. That will hurt tourism and the convention business without any Latino boycott.
Floyd and Myrtle from Sheboygan will be parking the Winnebago in Taos from now on if they get stopped and ordered to prove their citizenship in Tuscon.

Anyone else remember the days when Lee Atwater and Ronald Reagan said that Latinos were Republicans?

10 comments:

it's margaret said...

Racial profiling IS against the law....

toujoursdan said...

Amen. I can't figure out what is going on in AZ.

James said...

Agreed!!!

June Butler said...

Counterlight, excellent. That's putting your money where your mouth is, or not putting your money where your mouth is, or not putting your money where your mouth isn't. Oh dear! I'm confused. The above is my insane way of saying that you do a good thing, luv.

IT said...

I think the desert sun may have baked some brains dry there in Phoenix.

susan s. said...

I agree with IT!

And then there is Nevada, home of the Chicken Plucker!

June Butler said...

The governess of Arizona just signed the bill into law. Would you like to run with the news, Doug?

June Butler said...

Sorry. I guess you had the news when you wrote your post. Don't moderate this comment and my previous comment through.

JCF said...

Agreed. (This law is patently unconstitutional, and SHOULD be struck down, forthwith!)

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

Amen, dear Brother!