Saturday, May 21, 2011

Rejoice!

The world is still here. We're all still here and alive, and in the teeth of all of those who wished us dead.


Rejoice, the bells
Cry to me, Blake’s Old Nobodaddy
In his astronomic telescopic heaven,
the Big White Christian upstairs is dead,
and won’t come hazing us no more, nor bless our bombs.

--WH Auden, from "Whitsunday at Kirchstetten"



























O look, look in the mirror,
O look in your distress;
Life remains a blessing
Although you cannot bless.


--WH Auden, 1937

5 comments:

Counterlight said...

Did I mention that I really love church bells? maybe a little too much.

June Butler said...

I love church bells, too, Counterlight. To listen to the bells from the different churches was like ringing in the new year, which it is - sort of.

The very first time I heard live change-ringing at St Martin in the Fields in London, I was enraptured. It was like being surrounded by heavenly music.

JCF said...

@ Doug: maybe a bit. ;-/

Speaking of: did you ever the film "Breaking the Waves"? (Ending Scene? :-O)

Counterlight said...

"Too much of a good thing is just wonderful." -- Mae West

Unknown said...

Thank you for the lovely sound of bells from all over! Like you and Grandmere I love church bells. I was lucky enough to be in Ireland recently and so enjoyed the bells from St. Patrick's in Dublin!