Saturday, July 17, 2010

"For Hell Is Just As Properly Proper As Greenwich, Or As Bath, Or Joppa."

I've never been much of a fan of either William Walton or Edith Sitwell, but I've always loved Facade (An Entertainment). It's clever throughout, but also very beautiful and haunting in many places.

Here is part of it recited by Dame Sitwell and Peter Pears:




My favorite recording of Facade is from 1971 with Neville Mariner conducting, and wonderfully recited by Fenella Fielding and Michael Flanders. I wish they'd re-issue it.

Hat tip to Lapinbizarre.

3 comments:

Lapinbizarre said...

You're absolutely right about the 1971 recording, which is my benchmark for performances of Facade. Fielding & Flanders are superb.

Lapinbizarre said...

Searched unsuccessfully for Fielding in Facade, but there's a nice recording of her doing e e cummings may i feel said he.

Lapinbizarre said...

For Facade karaoke.