Sunday, October 28, 2018

Solidarity


As far as I'm concerned, the White House might as well be vacant.  We have no real President right now.  There is no real head of state to do those head of state duties that a moment like this requires; to represent the nation -- all of it, to bring consolation to the bereaved and encouragement to the injured and displaced, to let the suffering know that the whole nation stands with them, and to encourage the nation to rebuild.

And so we must do this duty ourselves and for each other in the absence of any real leadership.

I can't speak for the nation as a real head of state would, but I can speak for myself and tell all of my Jewish neighbors that I stand in solidarity with you at this moment.  Please accept my condolences for so terrible a loss.  I am deeply shocked by what happened today.  I will not stand silent while friends and neighbors suffer attack.  I make no peace with bigotry and violence.

I stand in solidarity with my African American neighbors who've also suffered terrible racist violence over the past few days on top of so much other violence in recent years.  Please accept my sympathies for your losses.  I cannot accept the hatred and violence inflicted upon my African American friends and neighbors.  I support you in your struggles to resist and undo the injustice that you've suffered, to claim the freedom and dignity that is your birthright.

I stand in solidarity with Trans neighbors and friends.  No matter who tries to "erase" you, you will always be indelible.  I will continue to be proud to count you as friends despite whatever bigotry people spout at your expense.  I hope I can be as faithful a friend to you and you have been to me over the years.

I respect and support the struggles of each of your communities.

Unlike a head of state, I can't bring relief and promises of of help to rebuild.  I have only my sympathies and solidarity to offer, and my support for your struggles in whatever way I can.

Keep fighting the good fight, and in your struggles and triumphs may we all create Liberty, Equality, and Friendship.  May we make a home for each and all.  In your courage, I find my courage.  In your hope, I find sustenance.

Blessings.



The Statue of Liberty photographed by Andreas Feininger in 1945.



No comments: