Thursday, July 7, 2022

Something Blue

 



Texas Bluebonnets.


I am trying to figure out a way to respond to the crises of the current moment, if for no other reason than just for catharsis and blowing off steam.  I'm trying to figure out a way to do this forcefully but without resort to verbal violence or vulgarity.   Unlike Facebook, I can speak freely here, but I prefer to use this blog for lengthier more thoughtful posts without having to put up with FB's capricious censor-bots.
But I want to do something more than just react, rant, and vent.  I don't know what that is yet.
I'll start with a small protest gesture that may be just a little too precious and not very potent.  I will post the color blue from time to time.  Blue as in blue states, as in the color of Union military uniforms during the Civil War, as in the blue of the open sky.  I won't accept that over half the USA would willingly submit to rule by a resurrected Confederacy.  My loyalty is to liberal democracy, to expanding the franchise.  I believe in Liberty and Equality best summed up in this 1888 quote from "The Limits of Toleration" by the great anticlerical writer Robert Ingersoll, "Give to every human being every right you claim for yourself".  Liberty and Equality together in a single sentence.


No comments: