Sunday, December 13, 2009

Just Call Her "Yer Honor."


Houston, of all places, just elected an openly Lesbian mayor with a 53% majority, and in the face of well financed and motivated homophobic opposition campaigns.

Annise Parker is now mayor of the 4th largest city in the USA with a population of 2.2 million.

The city that gave the world Enron, Exxon, and Halliburton shows us all how its done.




Dear old Texas, which so frequently breaks my heart, gets something right; and on a big scale.

3 comments:

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

Yes, the Times they are a-changing!

Katy said...

As a Houstonian I have to say that I was surpirsed that she won. I also have to say that I never once heard anyone say anything about her sexuality as a negitive, but then I don't hang out with those kinds of people or watch much TV so it could have just all passed me by.

John D said...

Don't mind the suburbs or St. Martin-of-the-Bush, but in-town Houston(and its Episcopal churches) is a wonderful, diverse, and artsy place. I'm proud, and not surprised, that a politician who happens to be a lesbian easily won election to mayor there.If you ever visit, NOT in summer, go by Christ Church Cathedral and see the great work being done for the urban poor, homeless, and women recently released from prison.