Friday, October 22, 2010

Fascinating As Watching Paint Dry

And it really can be fascinating.

Here is The Man himself, Picasso, performing on camera for us in Henri-Georges Clouzot's La Mystere Picasso from 1955.

In this scene, Clouzot informs Picasso that he only has a few minutes of color film left, and Picasso with perfect sang froid assures him "sa va."





Here's one of my favorite paintings Picasso made for the film:



I don't know about you, but I think he destroyed it in the end. The finished picture is not nearly as compelling as some of the stages it went through.

Fascinating.

1 comment:

susan s. said...

It is very interesting to watch the changes as he paints, but for my taste(and my taste *is* questionable) he could have stopped the first one while it was still a bird and I would have liked it better. That's the difference between an artist and me, I guess.

I 'like' the bull fight better at 1.55. At least I could look at it longer.

Thanks, Doug.