Tuesday, September 4, 2012

An Old Friend

Now that the Reverend Moon is dead, I wonder if anyone out there on the Internet has seen or heard anything from this person in the last 30 years.  Laura Hanley was a close friend of mine in high school.  She joined the Moonies sometime around 1980 in Providence, RI.  I last heard from her about 1981, and I haven't seen or heard anything from her or about her since.

I wonder if anyone out there has any news about her.

This is a high school photograph from 1976.





I'm apparently not the only one* still carrying a torch for Laura.  The Laura Hanley described in this link is definitely the one I knew, though I never knew Mr. Turnage.  He was deeply in love with her.  For me, she was a very dear friend who helped me through a very dark period in my early life.  I hope the both of us find her, or at least some news about her.  I just hope that all is well with her where ever she is.

* For some reason, Blogger refuses to recognize the link.  So copy this into your browser if you want to see it:

http://jpturnage.blogspot.com/2009/12/for-laura-hanley-wherever-this-may-find.html

7 comments:

Leonardo Ricardo said...

A lovely face. We have many ex-pats who pass our way...I´ll keep my eyes open for your friend.

Ciss B said...

Cults scare me, but to way too many who are searching or frustrated with life they seem to offer an answer of some kind. I pray and hope you hear something - and that your friend does too.

Kittredge Cherry said...

This is breaking my heart...

JCF said...

Try Google and/or Facebook? Good luck, God bless Doug (and Mr Turnage).

Ah, the Seventies: so many things seemed possible. Too many (cultish) things... :-/

Ciss B said...

This might sound strange, but there is a Laura Hanley on Linkedin! Similar smile, too. Here's the address (Hope it works!):
http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=22374201&authType=NAME_SEARCH&authToken=OZsb&locale=en_US&srchid=531ceed3-60f6-4971-8927-918820b1e0a5-0&srchindex=19&srchtotal=38&goback=%2Efps_PBCK_*1_Laura_Hanley_*1_*1_*1_*1_*2_*1_Y_*1_*1_*1_false_2_R_*1_*51_*1_*51_true_CC%2CN%2CG%2CI%2CPC%2CED%2CL%2CFG%2CTE%2CFA%2CSE%2CP%2CCS%2CF%2CDR_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2_*2&pvs=ps&trk=pp_profile_name_link

JCF said...

Hey, CissB, you could be right!

[For me, it's the downward-sloping eyes. I'd say I'm about 75% certain it's the same person. The age seems about right, too. Now, how she got from Rhode Island to Kitchener, Ontario???]

Counterlight said...

Hmmm. Could be.