Monday, November 3, 2008

David Sedaris on The Undecided Voter

David Sedaris in the pages of The New Yorker writes of the Undecided at this point in the campaign:
I look at these people and can’t quite believe that they exist. Are they professional actors? I wonder. Or are they simply laymen who want a lot of attention?
To put them in perspective, I think of being on an airplane. The flight attendant comes down the aisle with her food cart and, eventually, parks it beside my seat. “Can I interest you in the chicken?” she asks. “Or would you prefer the platter of shit with bits of broken glass in it?”
To be undecided in this election is to pause for a moment and then ask how the chicken is cooked.
I mean, really, what’s to be confused about?


3 comments:

The Religious Pícaro said...

Amen.

it's margaret said...

There was a brief discussion of the Undecided on PBS tonight.... Most Undecided, who are still undecided at this point, end up not voting.

Just food for thought.

Counterlight said...

And after 2 years worth of campaigning in a deeply divided country, I wonder how many of those undecideds are left.