Sunday, May 23, 2010

Another Pagan Pleasure for a Sunday Morning

The late great Rudolph Nureyev dances Nijinsky's original choreography (or something like it) to Debussy's Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun.



This production supposedly shocked the French, seriously, the French!

Debussy wrote this ballet to be a setting of a poem by Stephane Malarme.


Here is Nijinsky himself in the role:



I'm just not much in a mood to celebrate the "birthday of the Church" this morning.

Thanks to JCF for putting this idea into my head.

4 comments:

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

Interesting to see!

JCF said...

Thanks to JCF for putting this idea into my head.

Which one? >;-)

Seriously, Doug, glad to help. I do remember paper-grading hell . . . from my 4 months of teaching. (Sigh.)

I spent church this morning speaking Acts 2 in Spanish, in a cacaphony of languages. It was our lay preacher's idea---better in conception than execution...

Counterlight said...

"I do remember paper-grading hell . . . from my 4 months of teaching"

At the risk of sounding sarcastic (which I'm not), I hope you will face that hell again soon.

I've had to face worse, but it's still a pain in the arse.

I hope I get more studio courses to teach in the future; no lecturing, no papers, and a very different and much more interesting relationship with students.

Counterlight said...

I miss Rudy.

Woof!